Reception Home Learning
Please find enclosed a range of different activities that you can carry out with your child/ren at home.
It is essential that you do the following activities daily:
- Reading at least 2 stories to your child including the Talk for Writing Story that has been sent home. Next half term we will be looking at the story of “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” by Eric Carle so you may want to share this story.
- Encourage your child to read texts and share texts with your child. We have attached some suitable e-books. You can access other stories at www.oxfordowl.co.uk. It is important that you discuss the text with your child and encourage them to think about why things are happening, who the main characters are, where the story is set and their own likes and dislikes about the story.
- Practise letter formation (see attached booklet for cursive handwriting under the Handwriting tab below). Look at one letter per day and then get the child to write a list of words that begin with this sound. Can they put that word into a sentence? When they move onto Booklet 2 encourage children to write a sentence using that word.
- Play at least one phonics game on Phonics Play. Our particular favourites are Tricky Word Trucks, Picnic on Planet Pluto, Buried Treasure, Make a Match, Sentence Substitution and Speed Trial. We have also attached Phonic challenges (in the English section below) which you can adapt for different phonemes.
- Carry out a Maths activity every day- this may be an episode of Numberblocks (please talk to your child about what is happening), playing a board game or one of the activities enclosed. At present we are focusing on number up to 20 and adding and subtracting single digit numbers. We will upload a weekly Maths challenge to the Maths area below.
It is also important in Early Years that learning is made practical and fun. We have attached a leaflet with lots of ideas for activities that can easily be carried out at home. Please try to do at least one of these activities every day.
We also have a purple mash login which will allow access to a range of games and activities. The logon for Reception children is as follows:
Parent Code 41a511b3
We appreciate your support during this difficult time.